- You must be fasting from food for 3 – 4 hours before Hijama.
- Diabetic individuals, need to be able to fast for only 2 hours before Hijama to qualify. It is permissible to consume small amounts of food or sweets if needed.
- Drink plenty of water before Hijama, however it is stop 2 hours before your session.
- Take a shower before Hijama as it is Sunnah and good hygiene that reduces bacterial activity on the skin. Taking a warm Shower before Hijama, will remove salt on the skin, stimulate circulation and open up your pores. It may not be recommended to shower right after Hijama, especially if you are diabetic. However, do not shower 2 hours right before Hijama because your outermost layer, the epidermis, could temporarily retain moisture which could affect the skin’s response to the incisions.
- Avoid strenuous physical activities and heavy workout, 24 hours before Hijama.
- A full consultation will be taken before the beginning of your session. Medical history, current medications and allergies must be disclosed. It is important to share information regarding diabetes, peripheral /diabetic neuropathy, history of vasovagal syncope, narcolepsy, angina, hypoglycemia etc.
- Avoid Sunbath, Sunburn and tanning for 7 days before your session.
- If you take anticoagulants (blood thinners), Aspirin and Omega 3, ask your doctor if it is safe to stop taking them for a day before Hijama.
- If you take Hypertension medication, ask your medical doctor for permission to take the above after your session, not before your session.
- If you are diabetic, your blood glucose must be managed and controlled before Hijama. To qualify for Hijama your blood glucose before meals should between 80-130 mg/dl.
- It is recommended that you wear old, loose and comfortable dark clothes made of cotton because we cover your body with oil blends and ointments which might stain your clothes. You could also bring a shirt to change in.
- Do not apply lotions, creams or oils on your skin on the day you plan to get Hijama done.
- Consumption of Alcohol is prohibited for 24 hours (preferably 3 to 5 days) before and after Hijama.
- Hair removal is very important in the areas the Hijama practitioner is targeting. It is preferable in this case to closely trim the hair rather than shaving it unless we ask you to do so.
- Empty your bowels and your bladder.
- Keep your body warm and avoid exposing yourself to cold temperatures before Hijama. When your body is cold, the small blood vessels on the surface of the body and arteries, get narrower and constrict. Low temperature will decrease blood flow to the skin in order to keep the warm blood deep inside. In contrast, warm temperatures dilate and widen, these same blood vessels, increasing the flow of blood to the skin surface.
- If you inhale nicotine, Stop smoking and vaping for 4 hours before Hijama. Smoking is a vasoconstrictor that raise up your blood pressure, heart rate and your carbon monoxide levels.
- Do not get Hijama done a day before or after getting vaccinated.
- Do not donate blood a month before or after Hijama.
- If you take Amphetamine or other stimulants, Whether extended or immediate release, ask your doctor if you can stop taking them on the day of Hijama.
- Leave all your personal accessories at home specially necklaces.
- Listen to Ruqia prior to your Hijama session.
10 Things your Hijama Practitioners wants you to know