Required lifestyle changes to get rid of Shaitan
While these required changes are not a treatment, they can be the difference between someone staying untreated for years despite Ruqiah and someone getting treated in a few weeks or months.
Common pushback: I know people who do not follow any of this and they are perfectly fine. It is the same as asking a smoker to quit smoking but they respond by saying that they know smokers who smoke more, and for a longer time but never got cancer.
- Read and recite the Athakar (daily remembrance as prescribed by Prophet Muhammed) even if you feel well.
- Don’t listen to Music or songs. They bring Shaitan and distance angles. Allah challenged Shaitan in the Quran “And entice whomever of them you can with your voice” So what is the voice of Shaitan? Scholars said it is Music and singing. Prophet Muhammed (ﷺ) said: “There will be among my followers, folks who will act as if unwedded relationships, silk (for men), wine, and music, are Islamically permissible.” Authentic – Bukhari
- Do not walk naked around the house or go to bed naked. Jinn have eyes. They can get creepy when they see too much. Say “Bismillah” (in the name of Allah) when you are naked or changing your clothes. This blocks their eyes from seeing your private areas. Jinn can develop an obsession with the human body for both females and males.
- Do not let dogs into your house. We are not anti-dogs. It is just that dogs can’t live with you in the same house ever. Ibn Abbas narrated that Abu Talha, a companion of Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) told me that Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) said “Angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture” He meant the images of creatures that have souls.” ♦ Abu Huraira narrated: Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) said, “Whoever keeps a dog, loses every day a Qirat (unit of measurement) of his rewarded good deeds, unless the dog is used for guarding a farm or cattle, or for hunting.” Authentic in Bukhari
- Must dispose of any statues of humans or animals in the house.
- Do not hang pictures of animals, fish, or people, whether they are photos or handmade. It is okay to keep pictures of loved ones in a folder, in a drawer, and check them from time to time.
- Eat and drink with your right hand only and say “Bismillah” (In the name of Allah” before you eat or drink because Sheitan eats along with you. Prophet Muhammed, “When the name of Allah is not mentioned on food, Shaitan takes it as rightful for him.” Authentic in book of Muslim.
- Suppress your yawing in the first place but if you fail, then cover your mouth. Yawning is the easiest way for Shaitan to occupy the body as it enters through the mouth. Prophet Muhammed said, “If one of you yawns, He should cover his mouth firmly as Shaitan gets in.” Authentic in Muslim
- Enter your house with your right foot first; then say 2 things. Say “Bismillah” (In the name of Allah) and say “Asslamu Alikum Wa Rahmatuallah Wa Barakatuh” (May the peace, blessings, and mercy of God be upon you). Say them clearly and firmly even if you are walking into an empty place where no one is but you. This prevents Sheitan from getting inside along with you. Prophet Muhammed said, “When a man enters his house while making remembrance of Allah as he enters and as he eats, the Shaitan says (to his fellows) You can’t spend the night here and there is no dinner for you. But when he enters his house without making remembrance of Allah, The Shaitan says (to his fellows), you got a place to spend the night. If he does not make remembrance of Allah while eating, the Shaitan says (to his fellows) You have got a place to spend the night and dinner.” Authentic in the Book of Muslim
- Limit your exposure to unnecessary, unpleasant, and challenging experiences. For example, watching horror movies or climbing up mountains, etc. Shaitan could easily capitalize on replaying these experiences during nightmares.
- Do not share with others or narrate your nightmares. Prophet Muhammed said, “If any of you sees a dream that he likes, then it is from Allah, and he should thank Allah for it and narrate it to others; but if he sees something else, i.e., a dream that he dislikes, then it is from Satan, and he should seek refuge with Allah from its evil, and he should not mention it to anybody, for it will not harm him.” Authentic
- Say before intercourse with your spouse “May Allah shield us from Sheitan and ban the Sheitan from enjoying what You (Allah) have given us.”
- Every time you feel hurt by Sheitan at night, get up, make Wudua, and pray 2 Rakae’s to Allah even when you are in the midst of your sleep. Nothing makes the Shaitan regret attacking you as much as doing this.
- Do not be a solo rider. Prophet Muhammed discouraged men from living or traveling alone. (This of course applies to females as well). Prophet Muhammed also said, “The Shaitan is with the one who is alone, but he is further away from two. And no one of you should be alone with a woman for the Shaitan will be the third one present.” Authentic. ♦ He also said “A single rider is (accompanied with) Satan and two riders are (accompanied by) two Satans. Three Riders is a company of riders” Authentic. ♦ Prophet Muhammed said, “If people knew what I know about loneliness, no one would travel at night alone.” Authentic in Bukhari
- Never go to sleep laying down on your stomach. Start laying down on your right side and then change your position to your comfort but not on your stomach.
- Clean yourself well after using the bathroom, and use a water bidet, when possible. No residue of urine or waste should be in your clothes as urine residue voids the prayers and attracts Shaitan. Allah says in the Quran “And purify your clothes” Ibn Abbas said that Prophet Muhammed passed by 2 graves and said “They are being tortured for something they could have avoided. One of them did not clean himself after urinating and the other one spread gossip.” Authentic in Bukhari
- Take honey, apple cider vinegar, ginger, dates, olive oil, and black seed oil consistently. Additionally, Take Indian Costus and Senna tablets. They are effective in voiding the work of Shaitan inside the body.
- Apply dark Musk and Oud oil scents, these scents are hated by Sheitan.
- Keep your surroundings organized, clean, and smelling good. Angels refrain from visiting dirty-smelling places while Sheitan gets attracted to such places.
- Take cold showers when you feel afflicted by the Sheitan.
- Do not practice intimacy in the bathroom, at all.
Prophet Muhammed said, “Shaitan is the wolf for Man like the wolf is for sheep. It takes the sheep that is far and wide, so beware of isolation, and seek congregations, the community, and the Masjid .” Narrated by Ahmed
- Recite or listen to Surah Al-Baqarah, at least once every 3 days. It voids magic and ejects Sheitan out of the body eventually and out of the house.
- Do not throw heavy items or hot water suddenly anywhere unless you say first “BismAllah” (in the name of Allah) as this phrase alerts Jinn in the area to avoid being harmed by you. Therefore, you avoid their retaliation.
- Do not sing in the bathroom or talk unless it is a necessity.
- Always close the bathroom door after using it. Bathrooms are the preferred rooms for Sheitan and Jinn in the house.
- When you get negative thoughts, Say “I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Sheitan” and then spit on your left side 3 times.
- Make Wudua every time you lose your Wudua state. Wudua is one of the most effective methods of protecting you and curing you from the harm of Jinn and Sheitan. If you would only know how powerful Wudua is.
- Make sure to go to bed in a state of Wudua even if you lose your Wudua soon after.
- Prophet Muhammed said: “Cover up your food-filled dishes, cover your drink-filled cups, close your doors, and put out open flames. Sheitan cannot uncover your cups, open a closed door, or uncover a dish. If you can’t find a cover, then at least cover it with the like of a wooden stick while saying Bismillah (in the name of Allah)”
- Download an Athan application on your cell phone, so you do not miss listening to it. Abu Huraira narrated that prophet Muhammed said “When the Athan (call of Muslim prayer) is called, the shaytan flees while breaking wind, When the Athan is over, it comes back. When the Iqamah (announcing the beginning of prayers) is called, it flees. When the Iqamah is over, it comes back again. It then whispers in one’s heart, “Remember this, remember that”, things that were not occurring in his mind, to the point that a man would not know what he prayed.”
- Do not ever watch porn or porn-like media. This is more important than you could ever think. Porn will weaken you spiritually to a point you can’t recognize. Prophet Muhammed said, “Allah has written for the son of Adam his inevitable share of adultery whether he is aware of it or not: The adultery of the eye is the looking (at something sinful to look at), and the adultery of the tongue is to utter (what it is unlawful to utter), and the inner self wishes and longs for (sins) and the private parts turn this into reality or abstain.” Authentic in Bukhari
- Realize that social media can destroy your life. Do not share every happy moment on Facebook. Do not live in a glass house. Despite the likes and the happy comments, some people get jealous inside and harm others via Hasad and the evil eye.
- Do not over-stare yourself in the mirror or through selfies for extended times. This is a prevalent habit for young females. They develop an addiction to staring at themselves habitually. Jinn sees you and takes notice of your self-admiration and starts to admire you. They then enter the body and dreams of being sexually abused occur and last a lifetime.
- Pray your 5 daily prayers on time even if you are sinful. Avoid delays in your prayers. Follow your prayers immediately by reciting Ayat Al-Korsi.
- For females, be quick to shower right after your menstrual cycle ends. Delays in purifying yourself after the end of your period make you an easy target for Shaitan.
- Both husband and wife should shower immediately after intimacy. If tired or sleepy, then the Sunnah teaches us to make Wudua first before sleeping even though we did not shower. When you get up shower immediately.
- Certain states of mind can open the body for the Shaitan to enter like exaggerated fear, exaggerated anger, and exaggerated jealousy. Keep yourself emotionally balanced. (Movies, TV, and songs put you in an emotional disequilibrium)
- While we do not know why, patients covered at night in bed during sleep time tend to have better and deeper sleep with fewer attacks from Shaitan.
- Fasting reduces the effect of Shaitan and Jinn on the body.
- Do not curse or swear when bad things happen. Either say (In the name of Allah) “Bismillah” or (I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Shaitan) “A-aothu Billah Min Alshaitan Alrajim”. A man narrated “I was riding behind the prophet. The ride stumbled. So I said: May the devil perish! He said: Do not say; May the devil perish! Because when you say that, he will magnify itself so much that he will be like a house, and Shaitan will say: I had the power to do that. But rather say: In the name of Allah; for when you say that, he will diminish so much that he will be like a fly.” Authenticated by Al-Albani. This also teaches us that part of the treatment is not to complain.
- Avoid Period Sex. it is forbidden. Something about blood in general and blood of menstruation attracts Shaitan. Allah says in Quran in Surat Al-Baqarah, verse 222 (And they ask you about menstruation: say, “It is harmful, so keep away from women during menstruation. And do not approach them until they have become pure. Once they have become pure, approach them in the way God has directed you.” God loves the repentant, and He loves those who keep clean.”)
- This Hadith summarizes personal hygiene requirements. The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “There are five acts that conform to pure nature: Circumcision (not optional for males), shaving the pubic hair, clipping the nails, plucking the underarm hair, and trimming the mustache.” Authentic in Bukhari and Muslim
Anas bin Malik said: “A time limit was set for us (by the Prophet) regarding trimming the mustache, shaving the pubic hairs, plucking the armpit hairs, and clipping the nails. We were not to leave that for more than forty days.” Authentic in the Book of Muslim
- The sad reality is that most people impacted by Evil Eye or Evil Magic are in the patient’s inner circle of relationships. Prophet Muhammed said, “Do not accompany but a believer and do not eat together except with a pious person.” Authentic
- Do not let masturbation be a habit. Masturbation makes your Shaitan much stronger. It does not exactly relax you, it rather drains your energy. Energy means success and accomplishments. When masturbation becomes a habit, you will have to feed this habit by recording in the brain arousing scenes throughout the day so that you can re-play these scenes during masturbation. This pushes you to look at what is forbidden, just to feed your imagination during masturbation. Yet masturbation can save someone from falling into the sin of adultery when someone is already in a situation. Some married men watch porn and let their eyes wander to build sexual momentum to intercourse with their wives later. It is the same as masturbation but while using the spouse’s genitals for that purpose. However, this approach leads to many complications like not finding your spouse to be attractive, and Shaitan tempting spouses to contribute to the porn world by recording themselves or sharing their wives. The right approach Islamically is to starve your eyes and spirit sexually which makes your wife such a valuable treasure.